Friday, March 2, 2012

Adventures In the Nude or Things You Never Questioned Until Breaking Up

They say that love is blind and I'm starting to think that this statement is true. Of all the ridiculous sayings about love that have been made famous:

--Love means never having to say your sorry (Yeah, okay, if you WANT to break up)

--All's fair in love and war (So what? Both suck? Is that what you're trying to get at here? Yeah, ok, Jordin Sparks, "love is a battlefield" and so on)

--You only hurt the one you love (Isn't that the other way around? You only really hurt the one who loves you?)

--She's my kinda rain/like love in a drunken sky (What are you on, Tim McGraw? Seriously? Can I have some of it? Maybe then I'd understand what you're talking about.)

Out of all of them, "Love is blind" is the one that is probably most true. At least, in relationships. Until you know better. Or at least grow a little as an individual.

I've technically had four boyfriends, but today I'm going to be talking about boy number three because that was the longest relationship, as well as the one where all of these weird things occurred.

We were together for four years. And lemme tell you.......that was about three and a half years of the most blinded love you could ever dream of.

I know, I know. After a break-up, those involved are always pointing fingers and exaggerating things and making the other person sound like a total asshole. So here's a little disclaimer:
--Yes sometimes I exaggerate for comedic effect. However, this time, I am not. Every single thing I am about to tell you is true. It happened or was said. And I'm not saying he (let's call him "Thor") was a monster. I'm just saying that things were not okay with us and there was some weird stuff I put up with for whatever reason at the time. Call it unsure of how to act in a relationship. Call it submissive personality. Call it love-blind.

And any of you who've been in a long-term relationship has no doubt put up with weird or aggravating things from time to time. So, let's begin:

1) The Nekkid Rules

First off, once a relationship progresses into the sexual phase, things are never really the same. Sometimes better, sometimes not. No matter what, your relationship evolves in some way. Especially in the bedroom. My first and clearest memory of the weird things occurring then would involve what I called The Nekkid Rule.

It happened one afternoon. I'd ended up over at Thor's house. His room was in the finished off basement and we naturally spent quite a bit of time down there. On this particular occasion we were about to settle in for movie watching and I started to sit down on his bed. Only to be held off by one hand.

"Whaaaat?" I asked, laughing and confused.

"Take your clothes off."

"Uh....I thought we were actually going to watch a movie this time."

"We are." Thor grinned up at me. "But you have to be naked."

"Uh....what?" and I tried to sit down again. But that wasn't going to happen.

"No. You're only allowed to be here if you're naked." He smiled cheekily up at me and tried to pull my top off. "That's the rule."

Now, the girl then and the one now are two very different people. As odd as that sounds. If I was told that now, I would say, "Fine" and turn around and leave. However, the girl I was then thought this behavior was adorable and endearing. And obeyed.

And therefore, never really got to see large sections of the damn movies. Seriously. I finally just watched Shooter tonight. That is so violent but a really good movie. I can't believe I missed Marky Mark flexing his muscles and being a badass sniper for some horizontal cha-cha.


2) Food and Drink: Open Game

Thor used to make me feel like Dora the Explorer in a never ending episode, yelling "Swiper, no swiping!!!!"

I mean, we had meal times worked out into a kind of nice little diplomatic arrangement. I hated onions and peppers in my salad, so he got them. He abhorred olives to an amazing degree, so I got them. But then he would break our treaties and invade my plate to seize my food. That I was actually eating.

Seriously, I know I'm a skinny chick so you obviously believe I don't eat that much. I know I can be a picky eater sometimes. But when I'm actually eating something, you do not need to reach onto my plate and take something off of it. You could always ....I dunno....ask.

Plus, I have a thing about sharing food directly. Candy bars or sandwiches.....maybe I can handle it. Lollipops, chewing gum and ice cream however makes me physically ill. And it didn't really matter if Thor and I were regularly swapping saliva. Something about him stealing a mouthful of my ice cream cone would have me relinquishing it immediately. I never said why though. I just said "Oh I'm full." Or "Wow....now I'm really cold. You can have the rest."

I was all about sparing him my little eccentricities since his mother was extremely OCD and irked him constantly with everything she was particular about. My little annoyances about food? Not that big a deal, I told myself.

However, I did get to the point of snarling like a rabid dog when Thor would steal my drinks.

I am not kidding about the snarling either. He looked taken aback for a couple seconds, blinked a lot and then started laughing and telling me I was adorable and DRANK THE REST OF MY DAMN DEW. You don't touch a woman's Dew. You just don't.

Thor also was fond of taking the alcohol I was nursing and chugging it down. What was that? Were we in some kind of drinking competition that I was unaware of?

What it most likely was about was the fact that he didn't want me drinking around other people. If we were alone, it was okay. If we were hanging out with my friends, nope. Don't let her get too drunk. She overshares, leans on people, and occasionally flashes her bra. Which again, I took to be sweet on some level. Protective.

But at the same time, I was beginning to get pissed. That was something I actually talked with him about. Asking him to not steal anything I was drinking because it was mine and I would get thirsty and then have nothing. Because Thor didn't just take a sip or two. No, he chugged. And he kept chugging, apparently thinking my request was something else that was adorable about me and not to be taken seriously.

Maybe I should have snarled more maliciously?


3) What's Yours Is Mine and What's Mine Is Also Mine

This kind of goes along with the above section. Thor had this tendency to make himself at home. With everything.

What I mean is that when he was over at my house, sometimes he would just disappear and I would go looking for him and find him for some reason in my bed. And again with the stealing of food and drink.

Now, I'm all for sharing. However, when I was at his house, he didn't always share everything. When Thor felt like playing video games, he didn't share the controller. Even when there was the option of two person games, he wanted to play and expected me to sit and watch. For like two hours.

And again, the drinking thing. Stealing my alcohol but not letting me have his. Not that I really wanted it most of the time. He drank peppermint schnapps which I'm convinced is the foulest drink on the planet. Might as well just swig mouthwash.



4) The Desperate Nights. And Days. And Mornings, Afternoons, Random Minutes, Showers, Road Trips, and etc.

Any of the above times were an opportunity to screw.

I know....that urge to do it almost constantly in random places is a part of a developing relationship. You just look at each other in a certain way and then the next thing you know the two of you are doing it in your dorm bathroom. Or at the drive in. Or a rest area. Virtually anywhere. It's like you've lost your mind and all common sense and thoughts of decency. All that matters is having your hands alllllll over each other. RIGHT NOW.

It takes two to tango obviously. And at the time I thought this was exciting and amazing and I felt so free and rebellious. Even now, I might share something like this in a joking manner. Because on the one hand, it's hilarious and risque. On the other hand, it's very embarrassing. And I took a long time to wake up and think wow.....you know....I'm not really into this. It was crazy and fun but this whole exhibitionist thing ain't me. At least, not a sober me.

And I'd try to discourage the random sex in random places. It didn't always work......which brings me to the next thing.


5) No Actually Doesn't Mean No

Apparently.

When things began happening and I wasn't feeling it, I would say "no" or "Not now" or "I'm not in the mood tonight." I'd gently push Thor away or step back. But he wouldn't always listen.

He would pull me back or continue, laughing a little and trying to be sweet. He thought I was kidding. Even when he would stop, he'd go "Aw reaaaaaaaally?" in this dejected voice. And then he'd try pushing my buttons a few minutes later. Always checking to see if I'd changed my mind.

Eventually I would give up and give in. And there were even a couple occasions where I was incapacitated and "no" was completely ignored.

At the time.....I don't know what I was thinking. Happiness that I was so obviously wanted. That I was so obviously needed. And the feeling that, why should you deny an expression of love when you're in a relationship? Isn't that mean? Isn't that ridiculous?

I had some twisted kind of idea of how love is supposed to be expressed.


6) I Want to Take Care of You and other lies

I'm not saying this is always a lie. I'm just saying there is a fine line between someone genuinely wanting to take care of you and someone ruling your life.

Walking between the rainy road and you so you don't get splashed is nice.
Hanging all over you when you stop to talk to a guy friend is not.

Sending you messages on Facebook is cute.
Freaking out because you left your computer open and your friends posted statuses on your profile as a prank is not.

Bringing you blankets and cuddling with you when you're sick is sweet.
Cuddling to convince you to have sex later while you are sick is not.

Know the difference.


7) PDA: When Your Life Becomes Reality TV

I know for a fact that none of my friends wanted to see Thor and I sucking face like vacuum cleaners. I'm sure the people in Wal-Mart didn't either.

8) You Dyed Your Hair?: When your Body is No Longer Your Own

When you reach a certain age, you feel like you do not need to ask permission for anything anymore. Like, getting your ears pierced, getting a tattoo, dying your hair......

I died my hair fuschia at the age of 18 because I wanted to and because I figured.....hell, I'm a legal adult. I just graduated from high school. Who really gives a shit anymore?

My parents just gaped at me for a few moments and then started laughing. And then made sure it would wash out in a couple months.

Thor was not impressed. At all.

He lifted up strands of my brightly colored hair and went in this dejected voice, "You dyed your hair?"

Um. Duh.

But I was very anxious about his reaction at the time. "What....you don't like it?"

Thor eyed it with this pained look on his face. "Well....I just liked your hair the way it was. I think it's pretty the way it is." Translation: I hate what you did with your hair.

I was kind of crushed. "I just wanted to do something different with it......"

A month later he had his hair cut extremely short and asked what I thought. I shot the same words back at him. And he said "Well you never asked me about your hair before you dyed it."

We were at an impasse.

When I wanted to pierce my ears the following year, Thor wasn't so sure about it. So I didn't. Until this summer.
He liked my hair really long so when I eventually got it cut shorter, it was a necessity. It got caught in everything and was really annoying to wash, brush and took forever to dry. Thor wasn't sure what to think about it but I said it had been annoying. Plus, I donated it. How could he argue with that?

The point is, I felt like I had to ask permission to change things about myself. When all I really need to do was ask myself.

Maybe what blinds you is the thought that this person, this one person, is so wonderful, such a beautiful soul.....that you can't help but see only the good in them. And that results in placing them on this high up pedestal.

And that's nice and all.....but it's not the truth. It's not real.

What's real is seeing that person, seeing all of that beautiful person (the good, the bad, and the ugly, the flaws, the imperfections, the things that drive you absolutely bonkers that they do or say), seeing all of those things and not erasing them or excusing them away.....but loving them anyway. Loving them despite all of it and for all of it.

And if there is something you truly cannot live with or some way they are mistreating you, then you need to see it, truly see it, acknoweldge it, and let them go. Love is a wonderful thing, a beautiful thing, but don't let it blind you to the truth about people. Never let it keep you in the dark about serious issues.

"I love you and because I love you, I would rather have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." --Pietro Ariteno

That's real love.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message after the ......wait...this isn't a voicemail!